Re: [Monotone-devel] populating a depot server

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] populating a depot server
Date: 12 Nov 2003 16:29:02 -0500

Jeremy Fitzhardinge <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm still getting strange results.
>
> When I do the monotone post --verbose, it says:
>
> monotone: HTTP -> 'Content-Length: 8203082'
> monotone: HTTP -> 8203082 bytes
> monotone: HTTP <-  0
> monotone: HTTP ERROR: ''
> monotone: posted 0 / 17797 packets ok
>
> Now depot.cgi?q=status says:
> depot operational with 10840 packets
>
> Did I lose a bunch of packets somewhere?
>
> This also seems to make depot.cgi sit there and chew a lot of time -
> it seemed like the error return was the server timing out rather
> than the .cgi failing.  The web server's logs seem to think there
> was no problem, and reports the POST finishing with status 200.

it is probably the server timing out. that would be my guess. we can
try chunking large uploads into smaller bits to see if that makes it
behave better.

actually, looking at your upload size, I see it's within a power of 2
of hitting maxbytes (which is just a constant in depot, to help
prevent against dos attacks).. now it seems obvious that a large
number of small packets == a big upload, so it's actually necessary to
chunk uploads anyways, if we're to avoid hitting maxbytes.

I'll file this as a bug, it's important. until then, you didn't lose
any packets.. they were sent and no confirmation was received, so
they're still in your outgoing posting queue. posting a packet twice
is idempotent -- they're hashed and compared to existing packets in
the depot.

probably the cgi received a sigquit from the web server part way
through writing the packets to the db, so only put 10840 of them
in. that would be my guess.

-graydon