Re: [Monotone-devel] populating a depot server

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] populating a depot server
Date: 14 Nov 2003 11:37:14 -0500

graydon hoare <address@hidden> writes:

> Jeremy Fitzhardinge <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I see you've already filed the CVS import one.  I filed the addtree
> > performance issue (though I haven't tried the updated one yet).
>
> alas, the update I put in to addtree does make it faster, but at the
> expense of way too much memory consumption. I have to reorganize that
> a bit.

reorganized. now it posts much faster *and* uses constant
memory. there's still a speed degradation on file edges, but it's
proportional to the number of edits to a single file, not number of tree
states. that factor should be a fair bit less.

it too can be "fixed", but only at the cost of holding more of the
tree in scratch memory during the queue. I haven't put such a thing in
yet, but perhaps I'll have to. I can probably do something with a
fixed-size LRU cache of file versions, without too much hassle.

I also updated the UI to give a sense of progress during any queueing
activities, and removed the "one line per packet" printout.

-graydon