Re: [Monotone-devel] populating a depot server

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] populating a depot server
Date: 10 Nov 2003 14:26:49 -0500

Jeremy Fitzhardinge <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, so I've successfully imported Valgrind from CVS, and have a local
> repository.  I also set up a depot.cgi on my web server, which also
> seems to be working.

great!

> OK, now how do I push everything to it?

ah, yeah, saw this one coming.. :)

normally the queue-poster works up through the graph to the last
version it knows to be on the depot, and posts the edges from
there. when there aren't any known edges, its normal choice is to
post a single, full version of the current head. not all known
history. so that's no good.

what I've just done is add a new command, "monotone queue addtree"
which will queue up the historical "oldest" base state of a tree and
all the edges between there and your current heads (or named IDs on
the command line). you'll probably want to run it something like:

  monotone --db=foo.db --branch=com.my.project \
           queue addtree http://www.foo.com/path/to/depot.cgi/groupname

that'll run for a while, but only because it has to invert the history
of each edge for transmission. it should queue a pretty minimal set of
data, overall.

> I tried queueing everything with something like:
>
> for m in `monotone complete manifest ''`; do
>       monotone mdata $m | monotone queue add <URL>
> done

whoops, no, that's not going to work well. first of all it queues full
versions of every manifest, which is a lot of data. secondly it doesn't
queue anything else -- no files, no deltas, no metadata.

> But when I do "monotone post" it asks for my password and then says
> "monotone: posted 0 / 1995 packets ok".  The depot still has an
> empty database ("depot operational with 0 packets").  What's going
> wrong?

that's a bit more troubling. it's possible your HTTP server doesn't
run CGIs under a permission which lets them write to the file. also
possible your crypto++ (or your depot's crypto++) was compiled with an
optimization setting which causes its RSA calculation to fail (when
verifying your posting signature); we've seen that before.

if you run post with --verbose, you'll see the HTTP header which the
depot responded with. that might shed some light on how it's failing.

-graydon