Re: [Monotone-devel] Building monotone with Debian (Sarge)

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Building monotone with Debian (Sarge)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:11:41 -0800

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:49:19AM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> I think what messed me up was having build-related instructions spread
> across three different files: README, INSTALL, and the "building" link
> on the monotone website. Perhaps there should be a BUILDING file, which
> is mentioned in the README and INSTALL. The web page would then have a
> copy of this file, rather than a separate document.

I'm all for reducing duplication generally.  What is the difference
between INSTALL and BUILDING, though?  I think traditionally what you
call BUILDING just goes in INSTALL.

However, I don't know if anyone actually _reads_ INSTALL these days,
since most programs now seem to come with the useless generic version
dropped in by autotools.  Or maybe it's only the people who don't need
to read INSTALL that find that generic version useless...

"Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain,
Our thoughts are link'd by many a hidden chain:
Awake but one, and lo! what myriads rise!
Each stamps its image as the other flies"
  -- Ann Ward Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho