Re: [Monotone-devel] Branch naming

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Branch naming
Date: 15 Nov 2003 11:28:17 -0500

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:08:26PM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
> > just commit to a new branch:
> >
> >   monotone --branch=com.qualitycode.monotone commit
>
> My intuition is whining that com.qualitycode.monotone should be a
> totally different program from net.venge.monotone, and that a branch
> off net.venge.monotone should be called
> net.venge.monotone-<something>.

well, it's a name that, by convention, kevin controls. so he can do
what he wants with it. but yeah, you might be right. why dashes
though? how about:

  net.venge.monotone.kevinsmith

or task specific stuff:

  net.venge.monotone.win32
  net.venge.monotone.macos
  net.venge.monotone.fixes
  net.venge.monotone.fixes.security
  net.venge.monotone.fixes.performance
  net.venge.monotone.fixes.refactor
  net.venge.monotone.features
  net.venge.monotone.features.restriction
  net.venge.monotone.features.mergedir
  net.venge.monotone.features.gui
  net.venge.monotone.depot
  net.venge.monotone.testbot

like I say, I'm kinda interested in experimenting with multi-branch
work, especially working out the interaction of branches and
semi-hierarchical development social structure, just to figure out how
it's currently broken. for example, I'd like to pick some (pointless)
"lieutenants" who absorb contributions from outsiders first and
propagate them into the central net.venge.monotone branch, simply
because this mirrors the scalability needs of larger projects.

but it's also a scalability need of some large projects *not* to have
a "single" root to their authority hierarchy, but rather maintain a
separate semi-fork which supports their own needs, and only share
*some* changes, from time to time.

-graydon