Re: [Monotone-devel] Branch naming

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Branch naming
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:02:47 -0800

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 06:40:40PM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> It seems like somewhere along the line, I should be working in my own
> branch, like com.qualitycode.monotone, or net.venge.monotone-kevin. But
> I can't see any command to change the name of the branch I'm working on.

That's not necessarily so.  In arch, and I think BK as well,
individual branches are not distributed -- they're distributed VCSs in
that they make it easy to distribute changes between branches, but
each branch lives in a canonical location.  Monotone doesn't work like
that; individual branches are distributed, anyone can commit to any
branch, and if I trust their key and have a way to get their packets,
then I'll be able to see their changes to that branch.  If you want to
work on a different branch, you can -- just pass --branch to
'monotone commit' the first time you want to fork onto a different
branch.  But this is only something you do if you want to; it's by no
means required.

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."