[Monotone-devel] Monotone "must have" list

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Monotone "must have" list
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:03:13 -0800

I have two multi-person projects that I would really like to switch from CVS to monotone. Those are in addition to my little personal projects.

If I could switch today, I would. But there are some things missing from monotone right now that are preventing that. Putting my Product Manager hat on, I want to know: "why can't you switch to monotone TODAY".

Obviously, each project will have a slightly different list. Merging the needs of my various projects, my list would be something like this, in order from most critical to merely desirable:

- ability to set default key in MT/options [1]
- find a non-emacs 3-way merge tool
*** At this point, I can use it for my own projects ***
- Cygwin version (native would be even better)
- OS X version
- find MT directory from subdirectories (I can code this)
- simplified tutorial (I'm willing to write this)
- paper describing why sha1 is ok
*** probably ready to use on my free software project ***
- checkout by tag
- spaces in filenames
*** probably ready to use at work ***
- eclipse plugin (very highly desirable for work)
- single file diff workspace against head
- native Windows version
- simple gui
- single file diff revision to revision
*** by this point, monotone ROCKS! ***

That's my list. Nothing on there looks too difficult. I've probably forgotten a few, and there are probably a few that I don't even yet realize are problems. I'm curious how this compares to other peoples' lists.

Can I be CVS-free by early next year?

Kevin

[1] I have already made this change on my system, so as soon as I can post to a depot, it will be available to the world.