[Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 19:55:50 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:15:43 -0400, "graydon hoare"
<address@hidden> said:

graydon> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:54:19 +0200 (CEST), Richard Levitte - VMS
Whacker <address@hidden> wrote:
graydon>
graydon> > 3 *hours*?????  Wow!  That's a long time.  I'm comparing
graydon> > with cvs2cl (the CVS log -> ChangeLog generator), which
graydon> > does 3 minutes by default:
graydon>
graydon> ah. well, I was probably just being silly. I picked a number
graydon> out of thin air.  it's a one line patch to pick a different
graydon> number. 3 minutes? 5? 10?

I'm happy with 3 minutes :-).

graydon> the only rule I want to follow is:
graydon>
graydon>    "if people find something awkward, that is emprically true
graydon>     whether or not it makes sense, so it ought to be changed
graydon>     until they do not find it awkward"

That's fair.

graydon> > I've a larger contribution that handles non-branch tags.  I
graydon> > did it by creating a separate branch to do my own hacking
graydon> > in (uhmm, called it net.venge.monotone.levitte, mostly for
graydon> > lack of imagination :-)).  How do you want it (DO you want
graydon> > it?)?  A patch or the key to the server I haven't set up
graydon> > yet?
graydon>
graydon> patches are fine. keys to servers are fine. if you don't want
graydon> to set up a server, I'll happily let you write to mine if you
graydon> send me a key (unless you start filling it up with warez;
graydon> then I'll have to prohibit that key from writing :)

I've tried to set up a server, but some weirdness with my firewall
(ADSL/NAT router) stops incoming calls to port 5253 or any other port
I set up.  I need to do a power cycle, I think.  In the mean time, I
can send you the public key I use in my local database (I'll send it
privately).  I'll send you my server key as soon as it's set up.

How do you want to set up communication between servers?  Have them
both pull changes, or have one of the do a sync?

graydon> as far as branch names, whatever you prefer. distributed
graydon> development on lightweight branches is still imo a new
graydon> science, so I'm not sure anyone knows what the "correct"
graydon> arrangement is. try something and if it doesn't work we'll
graydon> make a change. branches can overlap anyways.

OK, since I'll probably hack on all kinds of things, I'll use
net.venge.monotone.levitte.{project}, where {project} is a descriptive
name for what's being hacked.

graydon> > Also, how do you want to deal with larger contributions, if
graydon> > you accept them?  Some people (for example, the FSF) want a
graydon> > signed document where I state that my contribution is mine
graydon> > and is not something I've taken from somewhere else, and is
graydon> > entirely free.
graydon>
graydon> personally, I think such things are very over-the-top, and I
graydon> don't really want software development to wind up requiring
graydon> such nonsense as a matter of course. it's bad enough people
graydon> think they need to stick 60 lines of legal chatter in the
graydon> comments of every file to be safe.
[...]
graydon> do you have a link to some sort of discussion of this requirement? it
graydon> sounds to me like someone is trying to out-do patent law in the "do
graydon> research on your own time to prove your own innocence" department
graydon> (nb. people are innocent of a crime until proven guilty)

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain.html#SEC_Top, read chapter 4.

The idea is not such much proving every contributor's innocence as it
is to protect the software to be taken by some corporation who would
then claim copyright to parts of the program (as SCO was trying with
Linux).

Anyhow, I personally agree with your view, I just wanted to know how
you wanted to handle things.

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/