[Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Server up

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Server up
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:49:30 -0400

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:05:25 +0200 (CEST), Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
<address@hidden> wrote:

As far as I can see, having the keys be identified by hash rather than
key identity would only require the following:

 - have id in manifest_certs be the key+id hash (i.e. the
   corresponding 'hash' from public_keys) rather than the id.
 - have id in file_certs be the key+id hash rather than the id.
 - change whatever code that depends on the above two changes.

yeah. I'll probably be doing this on the changeset branch (which is going to
invalidate/re-issue all existing certs anyways). the use of string identifiers
for keys was a mistake; I initially thought we'd do key management entirely
"out of band", but that's turned out to be less useful than just content
addressing them too (which I bolted on the 'hash' field for). it should really
assume the name role too, in certs, I just didn't want to break all the certs
until it was strictly necessary.

-graydon