Re: [Monotone-devel] Reiteration re: Mac OS X

From: Matt Johnston
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Reiteration re: Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:43:38 +0800

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 04:18:58PM -0700, Paul Snively wrote:
> 2) (Harder) Please, please, please upgrade to Crypto++ 5.2.1; the
> Crypto++ code in there now flat won't compile on Apple's GCC 3.3. It
> eventually consumes all virtual memory and kills the machine. Yes, even
> with -O0. Yes, even with -fno-coalesce-templates and friends. Yes, yes,
> yes, I've tried it all. Please just upgrade. Thanks. :-)

It actually does eventually compile, though yes, it requires
a large chunk of memory. With 512 MB total on an iBook G4
1Ghz running 10.3.5, I had to go to -O0 to get it running
(and avoid too many open programs). With 768 MB total, -O2
is plausible (again with few other apps open). IIRC the g++
processes had a resident size of approx 350 MB.
So a less memory-intensive library would be nice :)

Matt