Re: [Monotone-devel] Introducing monoweb

From: Georg-W. Koltermann
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Introducing monoweb
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:20:07 +0200

Am Do, den 21.10.2004 schrieb Steven R. Baker um 8:37:
> Heya,
>
> So I've started on monoweb, a web-based viewer for monotone databases.

Hi,

the feature I'm most interested in is history browsing, e.g.

      * list the past history of a version in tabular form, with dates,
        authors, commit messages
      * ditto for a single file
      * annotate ("blame") a version of a file (default head) showing
        which line originates from which commit; show details for the
        commit if you mouse-over (date, author, message)
      * show a graphical ancestry tree of a version, exhibiting details
        on mouse over (date, author, commit message)
      * ditto for a single file

The history records of a single file would of course be subsets of the
history of the complete configuration.  I am interested in the file
history because sometimes I want to see who changed a specific part of
the sourcecode, when, for what reason, and looking at the history of the
complete configuration is just confusing as many changes to the
configuration might not have touched the file at all.

Then the history records of a line of code (or a range of code lines)
would again be a subset of the file history.  However, looking at the
history of a single code line frequently is too fine-grained.  It makes
more sense to annotate the file and show details for code lines on mouse
over.  Of course one could integrate a feature like clicking on a code
line to navigate to the past version (the version where this line
originated) and then annotate that version to see the preceeding
history.

Wishes... I'm sure you have your set of wishes as well.

--
Regards,
Georg.