[Monotone-devel] netsync server timeout errors

From: Ron Palmer
Subject: [Monotone-devel] netsync server timeout errors
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:35:47 -0800

Hi all,

My company is looking for new revision control software to manage schematic and layout (binary) files used in IC design. Monotone is one of the packages we've been looking at.

First, I think we've found a timeout issue when a slow client is performing an initial pull of a database. We noticed that pulling monotone from off.net (the suggested test from the INSTALL file) would succeed from some of our machines (Opteron RHEL 3.0) and fail from others (Ultra2/400 Solaris 5.8). The failure message was

monotone: read from fd 8 (peer off.net) failed, disconnecting

Using --debug on the Solaris machines did not show any obvious problems or hangs. A snippet of the end of the debug log follows. We added the date lines to stderr with a pipe to check for hangs or slow debug outputs.

Tue Nov  2 16:18:26 PST 2004
monotone: db.execute("INSERT OR REPLACE INTO merkle_nodes VALUES ('mcert',
'net.venge.monoto ...")
Tue Nov  2 16:18:26 PST 2004
monotone: updating subtree setting to 605972f5ec0d824f758811f7e81cc72eb717dd75
at slot 0xa of node 0e, level 1
Tue Nov  2 16:18:26 PST 2004
monotone: db.execute("INSERT OR REPLACE INTO merkle_nodes VALUES ('mcert',
'net.venge.monoto ...")
Tue Nov  2 16:18:26 PST 2004
monotone: updating subtree setting to 622c98ad93a8f60796602e9ed580521b85b81027
at slot 0xe of node , level 0
Tue Nov  2 16:18:26 PST 2004
monotone: -- finished top level insert --
Tue Nov  2 16:18:26 PST 2004
monotone: db.execute("INSERT OR REPLACE INTO merkle_nodes VALUES ('mcert',
'net.venge.monoto ...")
Tue Nov  2 16:18:26 PST 2004
monotone: read from fd 8 (peer off.net) failed, disconnecting

Serving the monotone database we successfully pulled from off.net on one of the Opteron machines, we tried the same test internally. The pull failed with the same error type (different peer, of course) and we noticed the server had closed the client connection with a no response / timeout message while the client was still working on the last hunk of data transferred.

Is there an option for a keepalive packet from the client that I've missed? If not, can one be added? It wouldn't need to repeat quickly, and probably should be tied to the server timeout.

We also had a question about the public/private keypairs. We are planning for each design to be a separate database used by a group of engineers. These engineers could be working on several different projects at once. Is there a way to keep one keypair for each user across multiple databases?

Thanks,

Ron Palmer