[Monotone-devel] Re: netsync server timeout errors

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync server timeout errors
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:54:11 -0500

Ron Palmer wrote:

Is there an option for a keepalive packet from the client that I've missed? If not, can one be added? It wouldn't need to repeat quickly, and probably should be tied to the server timeout.

*sigh* yeah, I see this with some frequency too. I guess I was just a bit too cautious in the protocol design. the intention is to disallow people DoS'ing the server by opening up lots of sockets. but perhaps it's more reasonable to keep sockets alive as long as necessary (or up to a very silly timeout like 6 or 8 hours, to reap truly dead clients), and let people manage their own DoS vulnerability at the TCP level. I'll change that now on the changeset branch. I'm sort of tired of this particular bug, it shouldn't really be an issue for new users just trying things out.

We also had a question about the public/private keypairs. We are planning for each design to be a separate database used by a group of engineers. These engineers could be working on several different projects at once. Is there a way to keep one keypair for each user across multiple databases?

yeah, the "monotone pubkey ID > file.txt" ... "monotone read <file.txt" combination matt mentionned should work fine. I use the same key for a few databases.

-graydon