Re: [Monotone-devel] [from svn list] Case study: Mono switches to Subver

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [from svn list] Case study: Mono switches to Subversion
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 05:08:00 -0800

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 12:25:15PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:07:02 -0700, Derek
> Scherger <address@hidden> said:
>
> derek> The changelog discussion was quite interesting. I've been wondering a
> derek> bit about the ChangeLog file in the monotone source verses the
> derek> changelog certs recorded by commit and listed by log and why both
> would
> derek> be useful. In particular duplicating the head of the ChangeLog file as
> derek> the contents of the changelog cert seems somewhat redundant.
>
> I couldn't agree more.  I find it quite silly, and we could as well
> have it generated using something like cvs2cl (monotone2cl, anyone?).
> I think ChangeLog is really a tribute to the GNU standard...

Alternatively, we could write an edit_comment hook that pulled from
the top of the ChangeLog file...

"On arrival in my ward I was immediately served with lunch. `This is
what you ordered yesterday.' I pointed out that I had just arrived,
only to be told: `This is what your bed ordered.'"
  -- Letter to the Editor, The Times, September 2000