Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit without working copy

From: Grzegorz Jakacki
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit without working copy
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:37:26 +0800

Nathan Myers wrote:
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:24:43PM +0800, Grzegorz Jakacki wrote:

I would like a webserver to checkout/checkin files from/to monotone database without actually creating a working copy. Is that possible with current CLI? If not, then how much work it is to add it and where should I begin?

The "packet" commands still work. If you can deliver packets extracted from the client database to your web server, it can add them. Presumably it would also need to extract packets from its database and deliver them to the client to be added, which you might do with a browser protocol handler. I don't know what else the web server end would need to do, besides occasional pruning. The only tricky part seems to be discovering what packets to extract and send, something that I guess netsync negotiates.

Thanks for this explanation, however my problem lies elsewhere.
I am not trying to synchronize through webserver. This is what I am trying to:

When a webpage is requested, my webserver runs PHP script. I would like this script to run 'monotone cat' on database stored locally on webserver's host, capture the output and serve it as a webpage to web client. At this point user can manipulate the served content in its web client, and then send it back to the web server. The web server should in turn run monotone and commit the new version of the content to the monotone database (stored locally on webserver's host).

So basically I would like to get revisions in and out of monotone without creating a working copy.

BR
Grzegorz

I'm assuming you can't open a port for netsync, and must work through
port 80; and port 80 is already in use by a web server, so you can't
just make netsync use it directly; and you also can't (for whatever reason) set up an ssh tunnel. Each of these alternatives seems easier, normally.
Nathan Myers
address@hidden