[Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:39:59 +0000

Jérôme Marant <address@hidden> writes:

> Quoting Bruce Stephens <address@hidden>:

[...]

>> That would be one way.  Alternatively some monotone commands could
>> search parent directories to find the relevant MT directory.  That
>> feels cleaner to me (and is what other systems do, I think).  I seem
>> to remember there being a branch which did that?
>
> This solution implies that you are absolutely sure the parent
> directory where you will find the MT directory is the one you are
> looking for.  As far as I know, you can run "monotone add"
> everywhere in the tree and this automatically creates a MT
> directory.

Oh yes, so it does.  I wonder why.  You can also say "monotone add
foo/bar/baz".  So I'd have thought adding MT directories like this
would create confusing situations, but I haven't thought about it
much, so it may well not.

I was assuming that each directory is part of a unique monotone
working tree (if it is part of one at all), and that you can find out
which by going up the filesystem until you find an MT directory.
That's clearly not true at present; I was mistaken.  I don't see why
it couldn't be true in principle (that's how Arch works, for example;
Subversion seems to be different, but subversion is unusually
flexible).

Probably there's no point in doing what I suggested.  So long as the
functionality (the convenience of doing "monotone diff" and so on from
subdirectories) is there I don't care that much how it works.

[...]

> When working locally, such an integer in unique. So, while keeping
> the hash for obvious reasons, an integer "alias" associated with the
> hash in order to make things more userfriendly would be nice.

Maybe.  What about unique hash prefixes instead?  (They're already
allowed.)