[Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:45:22 +0000

Jérôme Marant <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> This is connected to files being identified by their full
> path, so when adding a new file in some directory, you need
> to "monotone add" it from the top directory of the tree if
> you want it to have a correct location in the database.
>
> How about doing the following:
>
> Whenever a new directory is created, create a MT directory inside
> providing the proper database name. An additional "level" parameter
> would provide the path from the top directory.

That would be one way.  Alternatively some monotone commands could
search parent directories to find the relevant MT directory.  That
feels cleaner to me (and is what other systems do, I think).  I seem
to remember there being a branch which did that?

[...]

> Using hashes as revision IDs is definitely not user friendly.
> I know, it has already been mentioned in the FAQ, but even
> a simple ancestry graph can show that it is not really
> "human readable".
> IMHO, a simple database-wide per-commit autoincremented integer
> would be much nicer. It is even natural when using database,
> AFAIK and SQLite does this.

monotone is a distributed system, so I don't see how that would work.
Unless the integer is local to each database (but the hash is used
internally in certs and things).  That might be a useful convenience.
I'm not sure---it might be worth someone trying.