Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks

From: Henrik Holmboe
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:54:59 +0100

graydon hoare <address@hidden> writes:
> Jérôme Marant wrote:
[...]
>> When working locally, such an integer in unique. So, while keeping
>> the hash for obvious reasons, an integer "alias" associated with
>> the hash in order to make things more userfriendly would be nice.
>
> such integers would not be particularly stable, as your database can
> acquire revisions "in the past" retroactively when you sync with
> others.

Let me begin with saying that I dont particularly understand the whole
complex thing that is distributed version control and Monotone in
particular.

With that said, one thing that comes to my mind to uniquely identify a
commit is to use seconds since 00:00:00 1970-01-01 UTC, and the user
who commited the changeset. It could look something like
"address@hidden:1102092772". It would be unique and still be
incrementing (hopefully, or else time would be grinding to a
halt). Just wanted to throw the suggestion out here. Cant think of
many downsides to this approach, but I have most probably not thought
of everything.

Just reminded myself that it might not be portable to Windows. Anyone?

.h

--
Henrik Holmboe, Stockholm, Sweden
<http://henrik.holmboe.se/contact/>