Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:54:59 -0700

graydon hoare wrote:
one stable numbering scheme which posesses the property you want (N+K is a child of N) would be to number the immediate children of *each* revision by the order they arrive in your database: consider the "first" child of N as N+1, and use a .fork.seq format for the remaining children a la CVS.

  first child: N+1
  second child: N.1.1
  third child: N.2.1

I wonder whether the length of the edge from it's root would be a reasonable facsimilie of a version number? I suppose forks would need a a.b.c type of notation and may introduce instability in the numbers though.

Cheers,
Derek