Re: [Monotone-devel] I suppose a migration problem 0.14 to 0.15

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] I suppose a migration problem 0.14 to 0.15
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 02:17:39 -0800

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 01:01:08AM +0100, Gilles wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Here is the problem I have with the last monotone.exe I got (win32):
>
> E:\monotone>monotone --db=colinux.db --key="" pull monotone.colinux.org
> stable
> monotone: warning: doing anonymous pull
> monotone: rebuilding merkle trees for collection stable
> monotone: connecting to monotone.colinux.org
> monotone: warning: caught bad_decode exception decoding input from peer
> monotone.colinux.org: 'protocol version mismatch
> : wanted '2' got '1''
> monotone: [bytes in: 47] [bytes out: 0]
>
> I suppose this is due to the version swicth between 0.14 and 0.15

Yes.

> I have a few questions then:
>    - where can we get an old 0.14 binary version of monotone for Win32

Can't help you there, perhaps someone else can...

>            > otherwise
>    - how safe is the recommended method to migrate from pre 0.14 to
> post 0.15
>             ( just to make sure this is easily doable, for all servers
> without loosing anything )

It seems pretty safe, modulo the small amount of necessary data loss
described in the documentation (i.e., rename history, which was
broken anyway, and some trust information).  Of course, part of the
recommended method is "keep a backup", so it should be pretty easy to
check for yourself whether anything nasty happens in your case :-).

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould