Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit without working copy

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit without working copy
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 02:20:37 -0800

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:24:43PM +0800, Grzegorz Jakacki wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like a webserver to checkout/checkin files from/to monotone
> database without actually creating a working copy. Is that possible with
> current CLI? If not, then how much work it is to add it and where should
> I begin?

It doesn't make a lot of sense with Monotone, since checkin/checkout
always apply to the whole working copy, not to individual files.
(With the .restrictions branch, this becomes some virtual working copy
with some changes masked out, but this doesn't change things
conceptually --- conceptually, we always commit a complete snapshot.)
So what you're asking for seems to be of very limited utility, and
semantically weird --- neither really good bets for getting it folded
in upstream, at least at first blush :-)

What are you really trying to do?

"...these, like all words, have single, decontextualized meanings: everyone
knows what each of these words means, everyone knows what constitutes an
instance of each of their referents.  Language is fixed.  Meaning is
certain.  Santa Claus comes down the chimney at midnight on December 24."
  -- The Language War, Robin Lakoff