[Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:21:33 -0500

Bruce Stephens wrote:
Henrik Holmboe <address@hidden> writes:

With that said, one thing that comes to my mind to uniquely identify
a commit is to use seconds since 00:00:00 1970-01-01 UTC, and the
user who commited the changeset. It could look something like
"address@hidden:1102092772". It would be unique and still be
incrementing (hopefully, or else time would be grinding to a halt).

It wouldn't necessarily be incrementing, since different computers
don't necessarily have the same idea of what the time is.  (It would
presumably be increasing on each computer.)

well, I've actually already implemented this sort of "pseudo-external identifier" in the sense of selectors. they aren't always unique, but when they are they work fine:

$ ./monotone ls certs address@hidden/2004-12-01T09:11:52
monotone: expanded selector 'address@hidden' -> 'a:address@hidden'
monotone: expanded selector '2004-12-01T09:11:52' -> 'd:2004-12-01T09:11:52'
monotone: expanding selection 'address@hidden/2004-12-01T09:11:52'
monotone: expanded to '15fcbe9c9f966cb320a7d4d83e55f7380f979e7d'

perhaps we just need some more tab-completion, or to print out selectors in more places in the UI's chatter, so people know they're valid. the thing is, in a distributed system you need a content-based security primitive like SHA1 hashes in place anyways -- since anyone can be lying about the thing they associate with a particular external identifier -- so I don't feel particularly wrong about using certs-on-hashes to support this.

-graydon