[Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:16:08 -0500

Nathan Myers wrote:

It's a little bit longer than the hex, but not badly so. Of course Monotone could parse it ignoring case, or enforce placement of any caps it sees. The wordiness offers useful redundancy, too. Four words gives you forty bits, extremely unlikely to collide, yet are easier to recall (or say) than six hex digits that yield only 24 bits. Although the choice of formats could be a command-line or configuration option, I don't see any real reason to retain the hex format.

there's actually an old branch njs put together to do this with a format called "bibblebabble".. the idea keeps coming up, but I've never really felt it helped much. it adds another way of referring to things, and it doesn't bring you any improvement in order or meaning, just helps with rememberability. I don't know how much we need to remember them, rather than just enter them, and copy-and-paste works just as well with either.

-graydon