Re: [Monotone-devel] a little status update

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] a little status update
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 05:23:14 -0800

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 04:44:35AM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
> for the time being, I'll mop up
> anything you don't feel like doing yourself.

Another reason to take advantage of this offer:

If you don't use a Monotone with graydon's latest changes in it (and
possibly when you do, since nobody but he actually can compile his
latest changes ATM), then as far as I can tell right now, when
attempting to propagate from .monotone.changesets to .monotone, WILL
YOU CREATE A COMPLETELY BROKEN REVISION.

(sorry for the shouting, but I'm hoping this catches people's eyes)

We need to examine this more carefully; I might even be mistaken about
it.  But in the mean time, my suggestion would be:
  -- commit to net.venge.monotone if you can
  -- if not, commit to net.venge.monotone.changesets, after updating
     to either ae39 (graydon's head) or 094b (my head)
  -- in no case merge the heads of net.venge.monotone.changesets, that
     just creates a new head that's even harder to merge.
  -- don't do any big merges until we have a better idea what was
     going on with the extremely broken data I think I saw Monotone
     generate when trying to propagate from .changesets...

- Don't let your informants burn anything.
- Don't grow old.
- Be good grad students.
  -- advice of Murray B. Emeneau on the occasion of his 100th birthday