Re: [Monotone-devel] a little status update

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] a little status update
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:44:45 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 6 Dec 2004 05:23:14 -0800, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 04:44:35AM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
njs> > for the time being, I'll mop up
njs> > anything you don't feel like doing yourself.
njs>
njs> Another reason to take advantage of this offer:
njs>
njs> If you don't use a Monotone with graydon's latest changes in it (and
njs> possibly when you do, since nobody but he actually can compile his
njs> latest changes ATM), then as far as I can tell right now, when
njs> attempting to propagate from .monotone.changesets to .monotone, WILL
njs> YOU CREATE A COMPLETELY BROKEN REVISION.
njs>
njs> (sorry for the shouting, but I'm hoping this catches people's eyes)
njs>
njs> We need to examine this more carefully; I might even be mistaken about
njs> it.  But in the mean time, my suggestion would be:
njs>   -- commit to net.venge.monotone if you can
njs>   -- if not, commit to net.venge.monotone.changesets, after updating
njs>      to either ae39 (graydon's head) or 094b (my head)
njs>   -- in no case merge the heads of net.venge.monotone.changesets, that
njs>      just creates a new head that's even harder to merge.
njs>   -- don't do any big merges until we have a better idea what was
njs>      going on with the extremely broken data I think I saw Monotone
njs>      generate when trying to propagate from .changesets...

OK, I'm a little bit confused.  IF you can build Graydon's latest
changes, are merges possible or not?  The whole text above starts with
implying it can be done with his changes, the latter part that it
can't.  Which is it?

Cheers,
Richard

P.S. I'm keeping a bit in the background right now.  However, there's
a project I'm working with that involves changes to OpenSSL and
keeping track of the changes that are going on in mainstream OpenSSL,
which basically means quite a lot of changes getting propagated from
the import branch to the branch with my own changes.  Would you
recommend that I use something other than monotone for the time being?
It shouldn't be too difficult for me to do a handcrafted move to CVS,
it would just take some time...

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis