Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:55:25 +0100

graydon hoare schrieb:
while I'm not completely sold on the notion yet, another reason this might be a good idea to introduce is that it makes interoperation with "single headed" VC systems easier. for example, it would be a very helpful abstraction to use if we ever wanted to make bidirectional gateways to CVS or arch repositories. these systems inherently have only one head: working copies are transient anonymous micro-branches, and you have to pick a separate name to form any greater form of branch. it might be nice if monotone knew how to think about trunks, even superficially.

Since you believe a bidirectional gateway to CVS possible (remote if I get that right, the other one is of no use to me) count me as a sponsor for that work (I would code it)!***

Though I seem to have a tendency to leave the high hanging fruits for others (e.g. ssh Windows port*, using blobs in sqlite3**) ;-)

   Christof

*I don't need that one, though. I did some initial research on CreatePipe (there's an example on MSDL which does not work on my strange WinE/Linux + qemu/powerpc system) **I postponed that to you (or after the moment the initial sqlite3 port went mainstream)
***I find that even more interesting than merge into working directory