Re: [Monotone-devel] user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Nathan Myers
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:47:44 -0800

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:02:44AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Nathan Myers:
>
> > This means that an SHA-1 hash expressed in hex as
> >
> >   15fcbe9c9f966cb320a7d4d83e55f7380f979e7d
> >
> > might be expressed by Monotone, instead, as
> >
> >   JimBinDogHalFooLogHatJarBobLogWowManTicSawBagLet
>
> This leads to very serious I18N issues.

Are we afraid of i18n?  I assume the monotone command set will be
i12ized someday.  Then, the wordlist used may be chosen by the user,
and looks consistent for all repositories visible by that user.  The
only time it will matter which to use is when two users have different
languages and need to talk about hashes; then they agree on which
wordlist to use.  There's no need for the wordlist to be restricted
to three-letter words, if that's not compatible with the language;
it's just a convenience to have a uniform size.

Nathan Myers
address@hidden