[Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:26:52 -0500

I agree with what you wrote about adapting to human preferences. whole-heartedly. but something else you said felt like something I ought to reply to..

Nathan Myers wrote:

No, we're _not_ doing OK. We are falling farther and farther behind Arch and Subversion. Arch is held back mainly by its incidental weirdnesses in, e.g., file name conventions. In public discussion on SCM systems, Monotone is rarely more than a footnote. Even Darcs gets more respect!

I used to worry a lot about this. it was a hard thing for me to swallow any evidence that I wasn't working on The One True VC System. but as time passed, I have come to accept that this space is big enough for an ecology of competitors. that the factors will shift from time to time, person to person, and project to project, to favour one or the other.

there is some sort of population-genetics equation defining the number of competitors which can coexist in a niche. it is something related to network effects, size of the niche, amount of variation in the niche, barriers to entry of new competitors, and "inertial" costs of maintaining and adapting large general competitors -vs- small specialized competitors.

I'm not any longer convinced that this equation *forces* a bottleneck future on us in which there is only one distributed VC system. I used to think the network effects alone would cause it, but I'm no longer convinced there's as much opportunity for direct code sharing as all that. my current feeling is that there's probably room for a few different distributed VC systems, for the forseeable future.

(cf. the continuing existence of different character sets, filesystems, programming languages, free unix clones, instruction sets, web browsers, mail clients, IRC programs, text editors, regular expression syntaxes, etc.)

-graydon