Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:22:52 -0800

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 06:13:59PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:25:54 -0800 (PST), Logan
> Sackette <address@hidden> said:
> lsackette> diff blah.c/my_branch/3 blah.c/your_branch/latest
>
> I'm sorry, but *GAH!*  Is that how it looks working with CC?  What if
> I want to make the difference between the file foo/bar/1 and
> bar/foo/3, are those considered files with numeric names inside two
> sub-levels of directories, or version 1 of the file foo in branch bar
> and version 3 of the file bar in branch foo?

In ClearCase your question is meaningless; or rather, the answer to
both is "yes".  ClearCase works as a magic filesystem; that example
shows the standard Unix diff(1) command being applied to two real Unix
files, that happen to be inside two levels of subdirectory of the file
'blah.c' (yes, files can have subdirectories, whee) in your checkout.

It's an interesting approach, at least :-) I think I like the 'simple'
part of Monotone, though...

(.sig is random, yet apropos...)

The best book on programming is still Strunk and White.