Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:13:59 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:25:54 -0800 (PST), Logan
Sackette <address@hidden> said:

lsackette> <VC object>/<branch>/<version number> would map to a
lsackette> hash value.  Sure, there will have to be a database
lsackette> mapping versions on a branch to a hash value.

I guess the biggie is, again, distributed databases, and
communication.  I'm assuming that the version numbers would be highly
local, and not get distributed to other databases.  That would make it
tricky for me telling anyone to please look at version 17 of some file
in my branch, as the other person probably has a different version
number.  I also don't know at all how easy it would be to
automagically assign version numbers to different revisions during a
netsync, especially if the are expected to have regular increments
through the history of a branch.

lsackette> diff blah.c/my_branch/3 blah.c/your_branch/latest

I'm sorry, but *GAH!*  Is that how it looks working with CC?  What if
I want to make the difference between the file foo/bar/1 and
bar/foo/3, are those considered files with numeric names inside two
sub-levels of directories, or version 1 of the file foo in branch bar
and version 3 of the file bar in branch foo?

For me, a syntax of that sort would be a definite turn-off...

lsackette> I am not saying this will be easy, but I think we ought to
lsackette> focus on ease of use and then ease of implementation.

I agree with you to a point.  Something that's harder to implement
also gets bugs more easily.  Who would benefit from that?  There's got
to be a balance between ease of use and ease of implementation.

lsackette> To support something like this, we would need to redefine a
lsackette> few terminologies.

To support something like this, it feels to me like we're building
something entirely different.  A different project, perhaps?

Note: these are of course just my opinions.  I will respect any
decision Graydon makes (even if it makes me look somewhere else for VC
to use).

Cheers,
Richard

-----