Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:25:19 -0800

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 08:17:40PM +0200, Oren Ben-Kiki wrote:
> There *is* a way for having stable, readable, consistent distributed
> revision ids, by using CVS-like fork numbers and using the author's
> name as the fork's id:
>
>             /-> 4.bruce.1 -> 4.bruce.2 (fork by bruce)
>            /
> 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5 (main trunk)
>      |\
>      | \-> 3.richard-1.1 -> 3.richard-1.2 (fork by richard)
>       \
>        \-> 3.richard-2.1 (another fork by richard)
>
> (This is all within a single branch, of course.)

The assumption is that a given user can be trusted to provide the
unique microbranch identities for her own microbranches?

What happens when I do some hacking on my laptop and some hacking on
my desktop, and we don't assume that I'm a Perfect Person that always
remembers to sync before taking the laptop on the bus? (A very real
example...)

Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic
realm. It is soaked with the blood of poets, theologians, philosophers,
philologists, psychologists, biologists and neurologists, along with
whatever blood can be got out of grammarians. - Russ Rymer