Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 20:36:03 -0500

Emile Snyder wrote:
I've spent a fair amount of time over the last couple years keeping up
with the various new VC systems, and so far I would rate monotone as one
of the most promising.

I agree, even though I'm currently focused on one of the others.

It's also refreshing to find a project growing in a reasonable manner. Rather than trying to convince everyone that it is the One True SCM
before it's ready it seems that Graydon has managed to just keep it
steadily getting better (along with help from all you contributors.)

This is really important. When I first evalutated monotone, I rejected it because of the clumsy "depot" system. Later, I was pleasantly shocked to hear that Graydon had replaced it with the cleaner "netsync" model. The shift to changesets was another surprise, and again I think it was a great choice on Graydon's part.

Few projects are willing to undertake such major changes, even if they really are important to the long-term success. Very impressive.

I'm also impressed that several people are already making serious contributions to the code and design of monotone. For such a young project, it is an impressive community. I am watching this hash format discussion with great interest, because I have confidence that if a worthy proposal shows up, it will be integrated.

Kevin