Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Oren Ben-Kiki
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:22:38 +0200

On Friday 10 December 2004 09:31, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > ... if you feel that
> > differentiating forks and trunks isn't something you want to do,
> > then the proposal is irrelevant.
>
> I do want to differentiate forks and trunks.  It's just... I spell it
> '--branch'...

If that were true, there wouldn't have been any problem in the first
place, because each branch would only have one head (a "trunk"). We
could have used a simple incrementing version number in each branch and
be done (isn't this what BitKeeper does?).

The discussion so far as suggests people do care about being able to
fork inside a branch - a fork carries a different "intent" than a
branch. Monotone already recognizes this by having separate commands
for forks and for branches.

Have fun,

 Oren Ben-Kiki