Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:55:40 -0800

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 12:59:14PM +0200, Oren Ben-Kiki wrote:
> That said, if
> the main reason for rejecting "first class forks" is due to Monotone
> refusing to allow an "owner" control over his created branch, I may
> have to resume looking for a version control system...

No, Monotone needs some concept of "permitted committers".  (It's very
very high on my list at least, once some of the bug churn right now
stabilizes.)  But I think we can achieve something more flexible than
requiring every branch to have a single owner.  You can definitely
have control, and ways to keep track of which committed changes are
not actually in your branch (because the committers don't have
permissions), i.e. "proposed bug fixes", keep track of merging them,
etc., without a unique owner.

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey