Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch naming conventions

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Branch naming conventions
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:47:50 +0100

* Bruce Stephens:

> However, I think the biggest problem is that web mail archives tend to
> obscure things that look like email addresses, so all references to
> Arch archive names in the archives are also obscured.

This is just so true!  What's worse, there's no way to map an archive
name to a network location, so you actually need those archives to
find a hint to the location of an archive.

Nowadays, DNS could support such a mapping, using NAPTR records.
However, library support is still rather poor, so it's quite a
challenge to implement it.  (If the archive name is just a domain,
it's a bit easier because you could use SRV records which are much
simpler.)