[Monotone-devel] Re: how to merge trees

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: how to merge trees
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:31:23 +0100

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> More precisely, we enforce the following lifecycle for files:
>   -- files are born exactly once.  For every file, there is a unique
>      earliest revision which contains that file.  Call this birth
>      revision B.  Every revision which contains that file is a
>      descendent of B.
>   -- once files are dead, they stay dead.  If some revision R is a
>      descendent of B, and R does not contain the file, that file will
>      not be contained in any descendent of R.

Doesn't the second of those make deletion rather too sticky?
Specifically I'm imagining forking at R (or somewhere later), and in
one branch the file gets deleted, but in the other it doesn't.

If I understand everything correctly, I must choose to kill the file
in a subsequent merge (since the merge is a descendant of both
branches).  But surely that can't be so, so what am I
misunderstanding?

[...]