Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: how to merge trees

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: how to merge trees
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:04:22 +0100

Florian Weimer <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Short, sequentially assigned UIDs are important for large
> repositories, too, because they tend to provide much better locality
> than hashes.
>
> Unfortunately, there isn't any obvious way to assign short globally
> unique IDs in a fully distributed system. 8-(

Come to think of it, with monotone's philosophy we'd never trust a UID
from another repository without verifying that it made sense anyway,
so probably these things would end up being local UIDs, since I
imagine it wouldn't be *that* much harder to construct the IDs than to
check IDs from somewhere else (even if we had some suitable way to
generate global IDs).

So would it be better to keep the IDs in the database, or construct
them when needed?  I'm not sure it makes much difference.