Re: [Monotone-devel] how to merge trees

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] how to merge trees
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 04:53:55 -0700

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 01:04:31AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 03:38:30AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > Either way, after we've merged all scalars using the above rules, we
> > need to do one more thing -- scan for what I've been calling
> > structural conflicts.  It's possible that after we've done the local
> > scalar merging, we may still have global inconsistencies in our tree
> > structure.  Such problems include:
> >   -- multiple items with the same name, in the same directory
> >   -- circular directory structures
>
> Forgot one: files/directories with non-existent parents
> (Possible because delete_dir is no longer recursive...)

One more: creating a file named "MT" in the project root.
(We couldn't actually create one by accident, it would cause an
assertion failure, but we need to check for it before we get to that
stage and signal a special sort of conflict.)

"...these, like all words, have single, decontextualized meanings: everyone
knows what each of these words means, everyone knows what constitutes an
instance of each of their referents.  Language is fixed.  Meaning is
certain.  Santa Claus comes down the chimney at midnight on December 24."
  -- The Language War, Robin Lakoff