Re: [Monotone-devel] how to merge trees

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] how to merge trees
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:12:41 -0700

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 01:39:32PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:
> > More precisely, we enforce the following lifecycle for files:
> >   -- files are born exactly once.  For every file, there is a unique
> >      earliest revision which contains that file.  Call this birth
> >      revision B.  Every revision which contains that file is a
> >      descendent of B.
> >   -- once files are dead, they stay dead.  If some revision R is a
> >      descendent of B, and R does not contain the file, that file will
> >      not be contained in any descendent of R.
>
> My apologies, I misunderstood entirely.  These restrictions are for
> any single path through the history, so obviously that would exclude
> forks.  Doh!

Ohh, I see.  I thought when you talked about "a subsequent merge", you
meant of the branch where the file died and the branch where the file
didn't die.  So to be clear:

  / \
 B   C
    / \
   D   E

If the file was removed in B, then:
  the merge of D and E can contain the file
  the merge of D and B cannot contain the file

"If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at it."
  -- John Hopfield