Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision eeef5ff823a54

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision eeef5ff823a54c2a678d40da6f658881679b809b
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:01:50 -0700

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker writes:
 > I like the change to incremental binary checking, but I've a small
 > issue with the new name of the function; I sure hope that the
 > *filename* would be text most of the times.

It would appear that the version that did &string[0] to get a
writeable pointer to the string was the version that was committed.
Was this intentional?  Clemens (address@hidden) was
concerned that doing this wasn't safe under the STL spec (although it
works in practice because of how strings are implemented).

I send a second version (Subject: [Monotone-devel] Incremental binary
test, try 2) which instead used a char array[size], and changed the
signature of guess_binary in file.hh.

 > Can I request a name change to "guess_binary_file"?

Perhaps guess_binary_from_filename (makes it clear that the function
doesn't take a LUA "file" object)?  I can't make the change, but
someone else should be able to.

 > In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:05:02 UT, address@hidden
 > said:

Are there instructions for subscribing to the commit list somewhere? I
couldn't find them on the monotone webpage, nor in a search for
monotone-commit-diffs.
        -Eric