Re: [Monotone-devel] "monotone cat file" not binary save?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] "monotone cat file" not binary save?
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:27:23 -0700

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 10:48:03PM +0200, Thomas Haas wrote:
> Jon Bright wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure the thing with monotone cat file is a MinGW issue.  I
> > did look at this at one point, but didn't get very far.  The monotone
> > testsuite ends up having all manner of workarounds because of this.

> So, it is definitely a bug in monotone? Is there an easy way to retrieve
> old versions of a file?

It's definitely not an intentional feature of 'cat'.  However, it's
possible that it's some unavaoidable win32 bogosity, like stdout being
provided as a text-mode descriptor that is inherently lossy or
something... if that's the case (and I'm just guessing) then we might
not be able to fix it.  Can any of the win32-clued people out there
shed any more light on this?  If it's not inherently unfixable,
though, we should fix it.

"cat" is supposed to _be_ the easy way to retrieve old versions of a
file :-).  In the mean time, the workaround is to do a checkout, like
Richard suggested.

"...All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model
for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could
probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."