Re: [Monotone-devel] "monotone cat file" not binary save?

From: Thomas Haas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] "monotone cat file" not binary save?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:50:32 +0200

Jon Bright wrote:
> Thomas Haas wrote:
>

>> Is the SetMode operation you are referring to managing the iostreams or
>> the file handle of the OS? The issue seems to be the file handle, not
>> the iostreams.
>

> The file handle - but the issue seems *not* to be there.  If the OS were
> the issue, there'd be no reason for the difference between monotone cat
> and other monotone commands.

There is an article on MSDN about this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/HTML/_crt__setmode.asp

Also, according to MSDN it seems like older version of filebuf
implemented a method called setmode to change the mode of a file handle
from binary to text and vice versa.

To me, this all looks like an intrinsic feature of Windows' filehandles.

You can also find a discussion about the problem on the
pgsql-hackers-win32 mailinglist:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers-win32/2005-01/msg00226.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers-win32/2005-01/msg00227.php

Regards