Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: newbie question about monotone serve

From: Matthew Gregan
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: newbie question about monotone serve
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:14:23 +1200

At 2005-09-08T11:29:01+0100, Andy Jones wrote:
> It seems to match my experience.  (In summary: Log of an IRC
> conversation in April: a monotone user experienced the same symptoms
> as me, was using the pre-built binary under red-hat seven.  It went
> away when he compiled from source.)

> I'm using the pre-built binary on Mandrake 9.1.

> Can anyone confirm that the prebuilt binary is broken?
> Is anyone using it without problems? On what system?

The binaries run the testsuite as part of the release process; so the
prebuilt binary is not "broken" and is known to work (at least) on on
the machine it was built on before it is even made available to the
public.

What you (and the RH 7 user) are running into appears to be caused by
the fact that the prebuilt binary is built on a modern system with a
working getaddrinfo(); RH 7 and Mandrake 9.1 appear (from a distance) to
be systems where getaddrinfo() is either broken or simply not present in
glibc.

If you build a binary from source on your system, it should work fine
(as the RH 7 user found), because autoconf will detect the
missing/broken getaddrinfo() and use an alternate method.

Cheers,
-mjg
--
Matthew Gregan                     |/