Re: [Monotone-devel] Certificates for files

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Certificates for files
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:03:06 -0700

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 02:59:19PM +0200, Thomas Haas wrote:
> The concept section of the monotone documentation states, that
> certificates may be issued for files as well (and the feature might be
> removed).

Oops, out of date documentation.  Missed that paragraph before; I've
just removed it.

> We would like to make use of certificates on file level to support the
> implementation of simple workflows, ie. approval and review processes.
>
> I failed to create a certificate for a file using monotone 0.22.
> --  Has the feature been removed?

Yes, back in early February (0.17, looks like).

> --  If no, how can I issue certificates for files?
> --  If yes, any chance of getting it back?

The old file certificate stuff wasn't actually useful, which is why it
was removed; it doesn't have useful semantics.  Certs were attached to
particular file hashes, rather than "logical files".  So certs applied
to particular file contents, without any attention to which file it
was, what revision it was in, or anything like that.

> Of course, the certificate could be created for the revision and include
>  the file identification(s) it is referring to. But I would not want to
> establish something new on such a workaround.

Can you give some more details on what sort of workflow thing you're
putting together?  What were you planning to use file certs for?  That
way we can figure out if there's a better way to do it with revision
certs, or if there's some way we should add back file certs that would
actually be useful?

"...these, like all words, have single, decontextualized meanings: everyone
knows what each of these words means, everyone knows what constitutes an
instance of each of their referents.  Language is fixed.  Meaning is
certain.  Santa Claus comes down the chimney at midnight on December 24."
  -- The Language War, Robin Lakoff