[Monotone-devel] Re: Certificates for files

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Certificates for files
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:51:38 +0100

Thomas Haas <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Actually. you and Nathaniel are right: the certificates I would like
> to use make a statement about a specific revision of a file. As
> there is no notion of a revision of a file (only revision of a
> tree), it does not seem right to me to use the existing certificates
> for my purpose -- although technically possible.

Yes, you just get revisions of a tree, and blobs of data, and each
revision has a manifest, and each manifest maps a filename to a blob
of data.

So that doesn't really let you talk about a version of a file without
giving a revision of a tree as well.

But I'd have though that's OK: almost all of the cases I can think of
for commenting on a file would be in the context of the rest of the
tree anyway.  For example, that README has been checked, and is
suitable for the release.  For that kind of case, I can imagine you'd
want some shortcuts, so you could fix INSTALL, but keep README as
being approved, but you could have scripts and things to do that.