Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:08:35 -0400

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 12:47:48AM +0200, Lapo Luchini wrote:

> What makes me chuckle with an evil grin in this discussion is that
> probably the use of hash values in monotone was one of the main features
> that convinced me it was more "worth trying" then the other distributed
> ones ;-)

It was its totally distributed nature that convinced me. not the hash codes.
I would have been happier with some locally unique version name that is
combined with a globally unique tag identifying the site at which the
locally unique name was created.  The reason is that I am still
paranoid about losing emtire files by hash collisions.

In fact, in this discussion about readable hash codes, we're reinventing
variations on this kind of mechanism.

While I do use hash codes for speed in many situations, I always back them
up with another. theoretically correct mechanism.

-- hendrik