[Monotone-devel] Re: Further adventures with 0.24 upgrade

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Further adventures with 0.24 upgrade
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 03:33:48 -0600

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 00:32 -0800, Howard Spindel wrote:
[...]
> I followed all of the steps.  Everything checked out okay at each
> step of the process - correct number of certs processed at each step,
> no error messages.
[...]
> In fact, if I perform a "monotone log --diffs" I get tons of warnings
> about ignoring bad signatures on old certs for dates, branches,
> changelogs, and authors.
>
> I'm positive that changed the key to the good key before using chkpl
> to rename the temp certs to the good certs.

Oh, I think I know. When deleting the old certs, with the key backed up
outside the keystore, you also need to do "monotone dropkey oldkey".

Make sure there's a copy of the key outside of the keystore, and then
run dropkey. Then put the key back in the keystore, and it should work.

(What happened is that you still have the old pubkey in the db, and are
checking the certs against that... but they're signed by the *new* key.
Really, monotone should detect that the pubkey in the database doesn't
match the keypair in the key store and complain. Preferably loudly.)

Tim