Re: [Monotone-devel] reiser for monotone?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] reiser for monotone?
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 17:02:53 -0800

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 04:10:31PM -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> address@hidden  wrote:
> > It makes me wonder whether it would be better to implement something
> > like monotone on top of reiser4 instead of SQLite.  I get the
> > feeling it's good for systems that like to keep complicated data
> > structures on persistent storage.
>
> I believe this was part of the motivation for Linus to build git at
> the Linux VFS layer.  He can take advantage of different implemented
> filesystems supported by the Linux kernel.

I'm not sure what you mean; git is just a user-level program like any
other.  (I think Linus just calls it "a filesystem" because he already
knows a lot about filesystems, so it's convenient for him to re-apply
that.  I don't know much about filesystems, so it doesn't help me
that much...)  Certainly git doesn't use any filesystem semantics
beyond those offered by posix.  (Though I'm pretty sure it does assume
posix semantics for things like renames, and may not be as efficient
on, say, windows.)

"...All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model
for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could
probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."