Re: [Monotone-devel] Approval revisited...

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Approval revisited...
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:11:49 -0600

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 22:39 +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:15:13 -0600, Timothy
> Brownawell <address@hidden> said:
>
> tbrownaw> On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 19:26 +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
> wrote:
> tbrownaw> > What would be needed is perhaps have approve avoid adding
> tbrownaw> > a branch cert for a branch the revision isn't already in...
> tbrownaw>
> tbrownaw> Um, I think that's the entire purpose of approve. It
> tbrownaw> basically says, "I, so-and-so, approve revision xxxxxxxx for
> tbrownaw> inclusion into branch aaaa.bbbb.cccc.".
>
> Yeah, the only problem, as far as I see it, is that approve takes
> --branch, so for example, I could very easily say something like:
>
> monotone approve --branch=net.venge.monotone.approved.linux \
>       6e87084a87413eed2c31100054ff8d5045f0be4d
>
> If that gets repeated a few, do you know what kind of graph that
> branch (which I invented on the spot) would have?

Hmm? It would have the shape of whatever part of the revision history
graph got put into it.

>  Maybe I worry too
> much, but consider if someone mistakenly connects the revision to
> another unrelated branch by using approve unwisely?

Couldn't they do the same by using "commit -b foo" unwisely?

> I think approve should at least warn if the given branch doesn't match
> one of the branch certs already attached to the revision.

Is it more often used to reiterate someone else's claim that a rev
should be in a given branch, or to "bless" it into a special branch
(release branch, maybe) that people are, by policy, not generally
supposed to commit to? (Is it used often at all?)

Tim