Re: [Monotone-devel] Approval revisited...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Approval revisited...
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:37:10 -0800

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 05:25:36PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> I'm taking a look at the current revision approval possibilities, and
> there are things I don't quite understand.  Also, it looks like this
> hasn't been looked at for ages.

It hasn't.  It was sort of stuck in as a statement of intention,
before anyone realized _quite_ how long it would take to get a solid
VCS foundation so we could get back to the actual _workflow_ stuff
that was the original goal...

I don't know that there's a lot of point in trying to patch this up
piecemeal; we don't have any coherent model for how review would work
right now, and fiddling with the trust hook (which is also one of
these vestigial has-been-there-forever, never-really-designed things)
doesn't seem like it will really get us there?

Personally, I think the functionality of 'disapprove' should move to
'revert' ('revert -r REV [RESTRICTION]; commit'), and 'approve' could
just go away, or stay on until we have a real story, or whatever.

The real answer is the trust branch stuff, which is actually getting
much closer now that we have rosters in and are starting to get handle
on how we can get over the speed problems we've been facing forever.
It will be nice if we can stop fighting fires for a bit... *knocks on
wood*

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling